STORY OF FUNABASHI 4 −THE TOWERS OF RADIO STATION IN GYODA−
There were 6 towers of radio station standing in the present Gyoda Park. They were constructed for the Japanese Navy in 1915. This radio station is known as used both for the rescue from disaster and for the war commencement.
When the Great Kanto Earthquake occurred, all communication systems in Tokyo stopped functioning, and became unable to report what were happening to the outside. It was from this radio station that sent the radio wave to ask for help.
In 1941, the command of opening war against the United States of America was sent to the Japanese Combined Fleet standing-by at the Kurile Islands.
After the end of the war, American air force occupied this radio station. Americans, very embarrassed with the strong stinky smell of night soil from the surrounding field, requested the authority to distribute chemical fertilizer to the farmers.
The towers were scrapped in 1971